I just put my résumé online. Take a look (there’s a link in the menu bar).
Here’s another education book: a testing bible.
Makes designing professional-looking tests a whole lot easier!
304 pages, ★★★★★
Teachers spend 25% of their time on designing, invigilating and marking written assessments. For the other 75% of the time, they’re doing what’s called ‘informal assessment’—observing all the tiny cues in the classroom that they pretend not to notice: the cellphone, the yawn, the shy know-it-all, the one who’s not concentrating, the eager hand-raiser who really loves your class… all these observations end up in a secret notebook (or in the teacher’s head).
Developing and Using Classroom Assessments tells you step-by-step how to design all kinds of classroom assessments. Assessments can be:
- Formal/informal (informal assessments are daily observations)
- Diagnostic/Formative/Summative (and preliminary)
- Internal/External (we will only deal with internal)
- Curriculum-based/Portfolio-based (students love portfolios: they boost confidence and self-esteem, and allow students to discover their strengths; but portfolios are time-consuming for students to create and for teachers to read)
When designing tests, pay attention to:
- Purpose: tell the students how you’re going to use the information gained from the test.
- Specifications: design the test carefully
- Validity: test everything you taught in the right proportions
- Consistency: different skills tested together hides a student’s true ability. Give separate grades for each skill used (argument, handwriting, spelling, style).
Score your tests according to:
- Ability: self vs. best ever self
- Growth: self vs. previous self
- Norm: self vs class
- Criterion: pass/fail grading for each question.
Always put grades into context. “Henry scored 90% in geography” is useless information. Say, “Henry understands our plate tectonics class very well” or “Henry’s score on the plate tectonics test was the second-highest in year 9 in our school”.
- Computer: students prefer this method and get higher scores on computers than on paper. It’s also more convenient for both teachers and students, and closely resembles any job in the ‘real world’.
- Pen & paper: while some schools are emphasizing pen and paper tasks, the main reason for this was “it will help the students get used to paper examinations”. In my opinion, this is not a good reason.
Never use grades to discipline students.
Always give students feedback and a chance to improve their grade. Usually, they will in the ‘real world’, too.
When analyzing grades, use these statistical methods:
- Standard deviations
- Year-group-equivalent scores (use median of each year-group to make a standard curve, then find the year-group-equivalent of each student, e.g. “Johnny attained year 6.7 level”).
You don’t always need to show these grades to the students. Keep some on paper, and some in your head, and be mindful of how your students will react to a bad grade (will they give up?)
I love the balance of theory, pracrice and examples in this book. Let this book guide you step-by-step to design innovative, varied, valid and reliable tests time after time.
Like Marsh’s Becoming a Teacher, this is one of those books I’ll be referring to repeatedly at the start of my teaching career. Buy a copy, and it’ll make designing good-looking tests so much quicker and easier. ★★★★★
- Book: Becoming a Teacher: Knowledge, Skills and Issues (jameskennedymonash.wordpress.com)