Too much Hunger Games.
474 pages, ★★★★
Book two begins with Katniss Everdeen at Victor’s Village.
The first book described the 74th Hunger Games; this book describes the 75th. There’s a “Quarter Quell” this year, a major Hunger Games battle with 48 veteran tributes (rather than 24 newbies), held every 25 years. Katniss and Peeta are, once again, called up to fight.
75 years? Tyrannies in the modern era have never survived for more than 90 years. In fact, most of them get toppled after 70 or 80. Without reading any further, I think this could be the last Hunger Games in Panem. It’s not unthinkable that this trilogy could see the end of Panem altogether, in a rebellion possibly led by Katniss herself.
Katniss talks about marrying Peeta (chapter 3) and having his baby (page 309), but disguises her love for him as rebelliousness against her country, Panem. She convinces herself so much (too much) that she ends up joining a real rebellion with her other crush, Gale (yes, that’s a man). She kisses both of them in several times in this novel. Panem is outraged at their being together, so Katniss and Gale pretend to be cousins for their own safety.
Ligatures. The kerning in this book is imperfect, and ligatures are altogether absent. This affected my enjoyment of the book, but most readers probably won’t notice anything’s wrong. The words, ‘mockingjay’, ‘flower’, ‘fish’, ‘fling’ and ‘Right’ all look awkwardly-spaced—ugly, even. Book one was fine.
I didn’t enjoy this as much as the first book, but I’m still hankering for more—especially because the last line tells us that Katniss’ home district has been destroyed. I’ve ordered book three and will review it in a few weeks’ time. ★★★★
- Book: The Hunger Games (jameskennedymonash.wordpress.com)
- The Tributes Get New Uniforms for THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE (collider.com)
- ‘Hunger Games’: Why Katniss Everdeen Is A Badass (moviesblog.mtv.com)
- ‘The Hunger Games: Catching Fire’ Set Photos: Katniss Is in Deep Trouble (screenrant.com)
- ‘Hunger Games’: Why Gale Hawthorne Is A Badass (moviesblog.mtv.com)
- ‘Hunger Games’ Stars Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson and Sam Claflin Make a Splash on ‘Catching Fire’ Set (PHOTOS) (celebuzz.com)